Sunday, October 27, 2013

Movies, In Class Discussion

Movies are a big influencer of life and perceptions. People were shocked by movies at first and this surprises me. The movie industry is still popular because of the experience of being in a theater. People stopped going to the movie theater when television was created.

The in-class movie discussion was very interesting and somewhat surprising. When watching TV I never really thought about how it was made. I guess I knew that it is made from pictures at first. When it is projected, it appears to be moving. Even though I already assumed this I was still surprised. The Lumineer Brothers' invention made it possible for movies to be projected. They did not, however, discover how to project with sound. All movies were silent until a new invention was created. I think Mr. Miller did an excellent job of communicating this message through the video clip because it really helped me. I am a visual learner so seeing the video clip by these brothers showed what their invention was.

The most shocking part of the discussion was when Mr. Miller told us that the video made people jump and be scared. I cannot imagine being scared of a movie because of the reality of it. I have grown up with television though so I have never known life without movies. The people in the theater who had never seen a movie before were probably thinking about the oddness of a picture moving. I can't really relate this to anything except maybe learning something new. Therefore, I cannot picture screaming at the reality of a movie.

Also in this lecture were reasons for going to the theater when there are so many other options. People continue to go to the theater because it is a social event, it is immersive, there is a genre variety, cultural influences, and the need to be the first to see it. These drive people to go to the theater and pay to see an expensive movie instead of waiting.

Movies were demassified by television when people decided to wait to watch movies on DVD or in another form. Also, people watched movies less after the invention of television. television was more available and it was believed to be more real than movies. Anything you saw on television was real but the stuff found in movies was only made up for entertainment reasons.
 
Movies are made through pictures. These pictures can be projected with or without sound. When moves were first developed, people were scared of them. Going to theater is a bigger experience than just watching a movie at home. Television is the biggest reason for the demassification of movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment