Sunday, October 27, 2013

Radio, In Class Discussion

I really liked the discussion on radio last week. I thought learning about the steps of how many people worked toward the invention of radio and how long it took was interesting. Many people worked on radio before it became what it is today. We think of radio in a different way now than we used to. When it was first invented it was used in different ways. People didn't keep radios in their homes.

When I learned about radio's being found in department stores at first, I was startled. I tried too imagine going to a store to listen to the radio. Also, it wouldn't be radio as I imagine it. Radio was used for commercials only in stores and not for private listening. They weren't found in homes. Also I wouldn't be able to listen to the radio in the car because the technology hadn't been invented. The primary place I listen to the radio is in the car. This seems to be the case for most people. Since you couldn't do this, it was popularized mainly in stores.

Radio could have live stories. They did news especially. I think the breaking news aspect of radio made people want it more. They enjoyed listening to stories as they happened. It helped people to learn what was happening more quickly. The people didn't need to wait to learn by word of mouth. Radio was the first live news medium.

Eventually television demassified radio and it had to go to niche audiences. After the invention of television, radio lost their mass audience. This is what caused the transition from general to niche audiences. Conglomeration affects radio because different areas may have the same broadcasts with the same reporters.

Even though I liked the topic of this discussion, I feel that it was a little rushed. We had so many distractions to the class and shortened blocks. These caused us to get behind and the lecture had less time and attention. Since it was rushed, I don't think we went as in depth as we have on some other topics. However, the lecture was still very informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment